I always prefer to go to the tailor and have it cut right on your body size but a lot of men also like to get it off the rack at the shops. There are a few important things to consider when you try on a suit you want to buy at the shops, to know you how well it fits.
1. Firstly, when shopping for a new suit, you need to go in a formal outfit. Very importantly, you need to wear a well fitted shirt, one that you can wear with a suit. There is no point in shopping for a suit while wearing a t-shirt or anything casual as this will give you a false idea of how the suit actually fits you.
2. The shoulder is the most important part of the jacket. If the shoulder fits correctly, the rest of the suit can be altered to suit your body shape. If the shoulder is too small, it will make your head look huge; while if the shoulder is too big, it will make your head look tiny. The jacket shoulder should hug and grip along your shoulder. Quite simply, if the shoulder doesn’t fit, then the jacket doesn’t fit.
3. The sides of the suit should not go straight down. There should be a 'bit' of curve that slims to your waist, and comes out slowly to your hips. and this it emphasises the ‘V’ of the chest and shows a bit of waist shape.
4. The jacket sleeve is one of the most noticeable part of an bad fitting suit. A poorly fitted sleeve will make the wearer look as though the suit is borrowed.The sleeve of your jacket should come up to the base of your hand, and should show off a little bit of your shirt cuff.
5. The body of the jacket should be loose enough that you can easily perform normal activities, like tying your shoes. If the back feels as if it is going to rip, then it's not a fit. A good test is the hug test which is to say, if your jacket feels like it will tear if you were to hug someone, it’s too tight.
6. Armholes should be comfortable in motion they should not be so tight that they cut into underarm. but avoid any excessive space. An easy way to check this is... if lifting your arms the suit moves up more than an inch, then the armholes are too low.
7. There are different ways to decide how long a suit should be but all of these methods should work for the average shaped man. The suit should completely cover your butt, and no more
8. Regardless of how well your suit fits, if your trousers do not match your body shape, your suit will look unflattering. The waist of your pant should be comfortable yet hug. Your trousers should stay comfortably on your body without the aid of a belt. If you need a belt to keep your pants up, the pants do not fit. The trousers should fall straight down your leg, without any bulges, with the hem of the pants falling right along the laces of your shoe.
In general, when shopping for suits make sure you focus on fitness,slimness, placement, and comfort. Keep in mind that every person’s proportions are a bit different, as you may need to bend some of these rules if your body differs from the average man.